Dova is a clinical-stage pharmaceutical company developing treatments for patients suffering from orphan diseases. The company’s lead investigational compound, avatrombopag, is in the process of completing two pivotal Phase 3 clinical trials researching its use as a potential treatment for thrombocytopenia in patients with chronic liver disease undergoing an elective procedure. For more information on the company visit www.dova.com.
The Medical Science Liaison (MSL) will be responsible for scientific exchange with Key Opinion Leaders (KOLs), education of health care providers on Dova’s products and clinical research support. The MSL functions as a regional medical and scientific resource who works to pair the changing needs of healthcare professionals with appropriate available materials and services. The MSL works under the departmental guidance of the Executive Directorin US Medical Affairs.
Develop, maintain, and manage interactions with Key Opinion Leaders (“KOLs”) and other healthcare professionals in therapeutic areas of interest to Dova.
• Develop and demonstrate a thorough working knowledge of Dova, its products, current medical and scientific research and publications
• Subject matter expert in the areas of gastroenterology, hepatology and hematology
• Provide relevant medical and scientific support for healthcare providers, third-party payers, and other managed care audiences
• Provide medical and scientific support for medical education initiatives (e.g., speaker training)
• Deliver high quality medical education presentations in a variety of settings and obtain feedback that can be disseminated throughout the organization
• Professionally represent Dova at select medical meetings and programs
• Use appropriate, ethical judgment, while following compliance guidelines, in the distribution of all written and/or verbal information.
• Assist clinical development in identifying potential investigators and sites for company sponsored clinical trials; support clinical trials as needed in collaboration with clinical operations/clinical research
• Provide appropriate support for government researchers and healthcare providers interested in doing research with our products
• Develop strategic KOL plans to provide needs-based, value-added services
• Provide and disseminate relevant medical and scientific information (within compliance guidelines) for healthcare provider education
• Provide field-based medical and scientific information for responding to a request for medication information regarding Dova’s products and related therapeutic areas.
Serve as a local medical and scientific resource for internal stakeholders.
• Provide medical and scientific training support to the sales force
• Participate in internal therapeutic advisory groups and project teams
• Provide local medical support for certain marketing-led initiatives
• Gather and disseminate competitive intelligence from multiple sources
• Complete accurate and timely administrative reports, projects, and other required documentation.
Serve as liaison between clinical investigators and internal stakeholders in support of investigator-initiated studies.
• Act as an appropriate liaison for investigator initiated studies in collaboration with the internal Medical Affairs team.
• Provide support for corporate sponsored studies
• Must demonstrate a basic understanding of pharmaceutical industry practices and compliance measures, as well as standard medical practices in hepatology, hematology and gastroenterology, and broad therapeutic competency (e.g., keeps current with new information and trends in the field)
• Must be articulate during formal and informal presentations and have the ability to convey complex, scientific ideas fluently to any audience
• Must have the ability to tactfully provide scientifically-sound constructive feedback to national, regional, and local KOLs and speakers
• Must have excellent listening skills and be adept at confidently stating expert opinions while respecting the positions of others (i.e., can exert diplomacy while standing firm on a position)
• Must utilize effective, professional communications to cultivate and nurture strong working relationships with internal and external colleagues
• Must have complete understanding of Dova’s products as well as medical, marketing, legal, and regulatory issues and compliance
• Must conduct oneself in a highly professional and ethical manner
• Must have an understanding of the clinical trial and investigator-initiated study processes
• Must have the ability to work effectively on multi-disciplinary teams in order to achieve desired outcomes
• Must have the skills to plan, prioritize, and execute multiple responsibilities in a timely manner
• Must have the ability to multi-task, work independently, and focus on priorities while using good medical and business judgment, paying attention to detail, and providing appropriate level follow-up
• Must deal with ambiguity and thrive in an ever-changing environment
Education and Experience
• Advanced scientific degree (M.D., D.O., Ph.D., Pharm.D.) or equivalent required;
• Clinical experience within relevant therapeutic areas preferred, but not required
• An established track record of effective and influential oral presentations within the healthcare profession
• Has published significant relevant therapeutic research or has substantial patient care experience; and
• Preferred a minimum of two years prior experience working as a medical science liaison
Territory includes: Preferred areas/cities: Southern California, Northern California, Seattle, Chicago, Arizona, Col0rado, Texas and Boston.
Travel requirements: 60% of the week with weekend travel as needed.